Camp Half-Blood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

If you do not shush, I will drop my very heavy books on your very thick head [PRIVATE]

2 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

If you do not shush, I will drop my very heavy books on your very thick head [PRIVATE] Empty If you do not shush, I will drop my very heavy books on your very thick head [PRIVATE]

Post by Sapphire Sun May 12, 2013 8:48 am

xTaylor Brooks
xTaylor Brooks was in the library. Feast your eyes and take pictures, ladies and gentlemen, this wasn't likely to repeat anytime soon.

The red-haired girl huffed as she reached a table someone had just left. Throwing a disdainful glance at the pile of ancient-looking books on it, Taylor wondered why on earth it was necessary for her to return the books to their proper shelves. I mean, hello! she thought as she stared at the kid who had been reading said books. You're the one who got them out in the first place. Why am I the one returning them? Campers should be responsible enough to put them back after use. Why couldn't camp just station watchful harpies that claw at campers' eyes when they didn't return books to the shelves? That would have made everything easier, and Taylor would not be stuck here as a library assistant.

Stupid punishment, Taylor thought darkly, sliding the thick moldy books into her arms. They smelled like they had been around since the beginning of time. With their yellowed pages and barely attached spine, that probably was the case. Taylor found it puzzling how people would even want to read things like these. The smell alone was discouraging enough. There were five books, each a tad thicker than her arm, and rather than taking separate trips to their appropriate shelves, Taylor hoisted all at once to save time. She clenched her teeth as she stepped away from the table. She could barely see through the top of the pile and if she didn't exercise as frequently as she did, the weight of it all would have been enough to send her crashing to the floor.

"You can do this," Taylor exhaled sharply and started walking. The books swayed dangerously in her arms but they didn't fall so long as she didn't go any faster. That was good. Nice and slow did the trick.
i'm bulletproof, nothing to lose
Sapphire
Sapphire
Approver

Character Sheet
HP:
If you do not shush, I will drop my very heavy books on your very thick head [PRIVATE] Left_bar_bleue21/24If you do not shush, I will drop my very heavy books on your very thick head [PRIVATE] Empty_bar_bleue  (21/24)

Back to top Go down

If you do not shush, I will drop my very heavy books on your very thick head [PRIVATE] Empty Re: If you do not shush, I will drop my very heavy books on your very thick head [PRIVATE]

Post by Faith Lehane Sun May 12, 2013 9:39 am

Devon Bryson, Son of Thaumas and Tortured Soul

This is the best thing that could've happened,
Any longer, and I wouldn't have made it,
It's not a war, no, it's not a rapture,
I'm just a person, but you can't take it...

Devon Bryson was sitting in a rather dark corner of the library, his head bent over a large, heavy book. It was titled "Swordmastery", and included many pictures and diagrams, which helped due to his dyslexia. He'd been there for about an hour already, but he wasn't worried about someone else coming in and wanting the book. Very few ever actually came into the Library.
The bronze haired boy was nodding his head ever so slightly, listening to music from his iPod through the buds of his earphones. He was lucky: Max hadn't been able to take the iPod that morning, cause she'd been too slow waking up. In fact, when he had left, she'd still been snoring, the iPod on her bedside table.
The music was on shuffle, and right now it was one of his sisters favourite songs, actually quite old, but that didn't change anything for her. She loved the oldies and the new songs. He didn't care what he was listening to, as long as he actually had his iPod.

The British teenager was wearing a muted color plaid shirt, which had a couple stains on the arms. Because of this, he had the sleeves rolled up to his elbows. His shirt was hanging open, showing the grey t-shirt he was wearing underneath, which was (thankfully) clean. He had dark blue jeans on, which had more pockets than he could count, and were also rolled up near the ends. His shoes were a plain old pair of runners.
Devon had a rucksack at his feet, one of those things which he carried for the sake of carrying it. It came in handy, as he would tell you, when you needed to put something away.
His hair was its usual windswept self, bronze streaked with gold, and absently he ran his fingers through it, making it even more messy than usual.

After a few moments, he looked up, and then shut the book with a heavy thud.
Should be an acceptable time to go get food now. Maybe I could come back later.
Only he would contemplate when he could come back and read more of the book on swordfighting.
Standing up, he shouldered the rucksack and hefted the weight of the book, trying to think where he had even gotten it in the first place. He couldn't well leave it there could he.
The buds of his earphones still in his ears, he turned and started to walk down the shelves of books, his eyes on the book in his arms, not looking in front of him.

Turning left, he turned a couple more times without incident. Devon was hoping he was near the right shelf at this point, and looked up just in time to-
Walk straight into a person carrying quiet a lot of large, heavy books.
Jumping back as the books fell, he was barely able to hold onto his own, and then shocked, he bent quickly to try help pick them up.
'I-I'm so sorry! I wasn't looking where I-I was going...'

Faith Lehane
Faith Lehane

Character Sheet
HP:
If you do not shush, I will drop my very heavy books on your very thick head [PRIVATE] Left_bar_bleue21/24If you do not shush, I will drop my very heavy books on your very thick head [PRIVATE] Empty_bar_bleue  (21/24)

http://cityofangels.forummotion.com

Back to top Go down

If you do not shush, I will drop my very heavy books on your very thick head [PRIVATE] Empty Re: If you do not shush, I will drop my very heavy books on your very thick head [PRIVATE]

Post by Sapphire Sun May 12, 2013 10:14 am

xTaylor Brooks
xTaylor cursed loudly as the old books fell out of her grasp and crashed one after the other on the floor, the sound effectively cutting the silence. Heads turned and someone shushed but Taylor was still stunned and rooted to the spot. She actually dropped them all in one go. She really didn't expect this happen because, well, she had been so careful! Taylor had seen the guy coming, that was the worst thing about it. This would not have happened if she took a few steps to the side, but she had assumed that he would take the initiative.

Oh well, no sense crying over spilled milk, she reminded herself and bent down as well. "It's fine," Taylor hissed, her cheeks heating up. She could still feel some eyes boring into her back and it made her a little uncomfortable, not to mention annoyed. As she collected them back in her arms with the boy's help, she noticed that one of the spines got completely detached. She bit back a groan. Was she going to be held liable for damages? And she was running low on drachmas too...

"Just watch where you're going -" Taylor whispered but cut off abruptly when she looked up for the first time. Right before her was a bronze-haired boy and crap. He was taller than she was (not surprising, seeing that a lot of people were more blessed than her in the height department) and looked a bit older, more... manly... thanks to the slight stubble on his chin. He looked... more than nice. And that was coming from a girl who hung out more with boys than with girls. You'd think that with all of her male friends, Taylor would be used to seeing good-looking specimens of the opposite gender. She swallowed. "- next time."

Damn. Taylor pretended to adjust the books in her arms. And people actually thought I was lesbian.
Sapphire
Sapphire
Approver

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Faith Lehane Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 am

The girl in front of him cursed, and he winced when someone shushed her (and probably him, coming o think about it).
Some people... no one else rushes to help her. Just shushes her... that's rudeness at its finest...
There were five really thick, really old books, and each of them had fallen. All cause of him. He'd been paying no attention to where he was going, instead trusting that in a library there was very little damage his clumsiness could cause. Evidently, he was wrong, because now a poor girl had just been walked into, and had the books she had been carrying knocked out of her grasp. He deduced the person he'd walked into was a girl, cause of her voice.

'Still, I'm really sorry. I'm not very... coordinated... on a good day. I should have been watching where I was going,' Devon replied in his crisp British accent, the girls hiss bothering him slightly.
Well you just knocked the books she was carrying. Not likely that she was going to be all happy and breezy.
He could hear some people laughing behind him, but he ignored them as he picked up a couple of the books. One of them had a completely detached spine, and he frowned, picking it up to study the damage.
'I can pay for this if they want money for damages. I have enough drachmas... '
And I can borrow from Maxime too, he added silently, looking up to the girl for the first time since he'd walked into her.

She was really pretty. Much prettier than he'd been prepared for. Her hair was a unique reddish color, lots of streaks going through it. Devon noticed how she was smaller than he was, more petite looking (He wouldn't say it, due to how size is often a wrong thing to judge on, but she seemed delicate to him. Of course, that had already been proved wrong, as she'd been able to hold up five very heavy books on her own. Until obviously, he'd knocked them.) She was different to other girls he'd seen. Not just cause of hair color, but because she gave off a different feeling than them.
'W-well, yes, of course I'll watch next time... lesson learned, as they say,' he said softly, smiling crookedly despite being rather nervous all of a sudden.

Faith Lehane
Faith Lehane

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Sun May 12, 2013 11:04 am

xTaylor Brooks
xOh my gods he is British. Bonus points for that. He had spoken before but Taylor didn't notice the accent. The stares from all around unnerved her that much, despite her not openly showing it.

Taylor should be ashamed of herself. She always cringed away when her select girl friends swooned over British actors and singers. Who knew that she would behave the same way? Maybe there was just something more magical with hearing it in person.

Returning his smile with a small one of her own, she stacked the other four books and finally tore her eyes off the boy to survey the damage on the one he held. There was nothing connecting the worn-out leather cover to the sturdily-bound pages. "You don't have to pay for anything," she said softly, remembering that he had offered. A mischievous grin played on her lips and she winked. "Nothing a bit of superglue won't fix. Warn me if someone's coming this way. The last thing we need is someone noticing."

She gently took the broken book from his grip, accidentally brushing his hand with hers as she did. He's just a guy, no pressure, she told herself firmly, and that was how she managed to successfully feign an indifferent mask as she tried to fit the cover back to the pages.
Sapphire
Sapphire
Approver

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Faith Lehane Sun May 12, 2013 11:34 am

If at all possible, Devon thought she became even prettier when she smiled. Granted, it was only a small smile, but nonetheless it was counted under the same heading.
I followed her gaze back to the broken book and sighed, touching the cover gingerly.
For a moment, he wondered what she meant when she said he didn't need to pay for anything, and his eyebrows furrowed as he tried to think what she was getting at. His smile grew wider however when he got it, and Devon shook his head, disbelieving.
'Imagine what a proper librarian would say. "What do you think your doing?! You can't put superglue onto a book this old!"'

Dev shifted around slightly, to block the view of anyone behind him to the girl. As she said, last thing they needed was someone noticing. Now there was no chance anyone would actually see, unless they were watching through the books to their left and right.
He held out the book to her, and awkwardly looked down when their hands brushed.
Maxime would have a field day if she happened to see. Imagine it. She'd find this whole situation hilarious.
When he looked up again, she was trying to fix the cover back onto the pages, with a neutral sort of expression on her face.
'Do you just happen to carry superglue around with you then?' he asked, amused.
Faith Lehane
Faith Lehane

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Sun May 12, 2013 11:52 am

xTaylor Brooks
x"Try me." Taylor couldn't help but laugh lightly as she turned the leather over in her hands, inspecting the loose threads that once held the cover and the pages together.

"Do you just happen to carry superglue around with you then?" he asked, revealing the flaw in her brilliant plan. Right, she didn't have superglue. Taylor pursed her lips. Stupid. Way to go, Tay.

"Weeeell, I was hoping you'd have one in your rucksack," Taylor covered up as she pushed the bound pages back inside the cover, shifting it a bit so that it didn't look too broken at first glance. Taylor smiled as she slipped it in between the pile. Excellent. No one would notice. "There. We didn't even need the superglue," she whispered triumphantly.

With some effort, Taylor wrapped her arms around the books and hoisted them up once again like before. She straightened up with a sigh of relief. The books still wobbled dangerously in her hold but she ignored it, her head peeking out of the side to offer the boy a warm smile. "Thanks, by the way."
Sapphire
Sapphire
Approver

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Faith Lehane Sun May 12, 2013 12:36 pm

Devon laughed with her, and while she inspected the book, he checked the others, making sure that they weren't falling apart either. They were all holding up better than the one without the cover attached, and he stacked them carefully.

'You know, I had superglue in my bag just yesterday, but seeing as though I hadn't destroyed any books yet, I thought it would be safe to leave it back in the Cabin,' he smiled that crooked smile again, 'In honesty, I carry a lot of things in my rucksack, but superglue isn't something I've ever had a need for.'
Dev watched as she moved the cover around, finding the situation hilarious. She hadn't struck him as the type to do that from first glance, but here she was, putting the book into the pile in such a way that no one would notice.
'Good as new,' he whispered back.

He stood, picking up the book which he had practically forgotten after what had happened.
When he did, like the gentleman he was, he reached out and took the top few books from the wobbly pile, balancing them on top of his own. He wasn't going to have her carry all the books on her own, just in case they fell again.
He returned her warm smile, and shrugged.
'Least I could do after walking into you. By the way, I'm Devon. Devon Bryson.'
Faith Lehane
Faith Lehane

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Sun May 12, 2013 12:57 pm

xTaylor Brooks
x"You know, I had superglue in my bag just yesterday, but seeing as though I hadn't destroyed any books yet, I thought it would be safe to leave it back in the Cabin."

At this, Taylor forgot where they were and allowed a hearty guffaw to escape her lips, earning another set of unpleasant gazes from nearby readers. She ignored them this time. She was engaged in a conversation with a hot British boy. Nothing can put her down. Her own thoughts surprised her; she wasn't usually one to think that way. But what do you know? Even the most boyish of girls can act like a girl if the situation called for it. There was even a new pop song relating to that but at the moment, Taylor couldn't be bothered to remember what it was called.

You are getting waaay ahead of yourself, echoed a firm voice in her mind, snapping her back to reality.

"Wait no, you don't -" she told him but the boy reached out to decrease her load, setting the books on top of one she hadn't noticed until now. - have to, she finished mentally. Nice of him, although she could handle all of them just fine. Before he bumped into her, that is.

"Ah, thanks again, Devon. That's a nice name," Taylor said with a slight nod. It vaguely reminded her of Pokemon, although she couldn't really put her finger on why. "I'm Taylor. Taylor Brooks. And you don't know how thankful I am that you decided to return your book to its right shelf instead of leaving it on the table," she added, motioning to the book on the bottom of his pile, the one with 'Swordmastery' emblazoned on the spine in Ancient Greek.
Sapphire
Sapphire
Approver

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Faith Lehane Sun May 12, 2013 1:31 pm

Devon was never one to make a load of noise in the Library. He was naturally quiet, the opposite of Max, who could only be described as loud. If he dropped a book off a shelf or something, he always apologized about it constantly, and made a swift exit. He hated when people would glance over at him, tell him to keep it down or to shush. But now, it didn't bother him that he and Taylor were getting dirty looks and some evil eyes. He was perfectly capable of ignoring them, because she was such great company. And she was. Dev might have only known her for ten minutes, but she was someone who he wouldn't mind spending more time with.
Which sounds like you're hoping to spend more time with her Devon. Don't run before you can walk.

He knew she'd been about to protest, and shook his head.
'Don't have to. But will. Its my good deed of the day, helping you carry these extremely large and heavy books to the shelves which they belong.'
He'd even forgotten about the earbuds which were still giving off a sound. Oops. They must have fallen out of his ears when he'd walked into the girl, and using one hand, he balanced the books as carefully as possible, hoping that for once he wouldn't be a complete clutz and drop what he was holding. Pulling the iPod from his jeans pocket, he brought the screen back to life and paused the music, before stuffing it back into his pocket with the earbuds. It was running low on battery, of course. Max obviously hadn't remembered to charge it, leaving it to him instead.
Thanks Maxie. Owe you one.

'You're very welcome. And thanks. I think my Mum was fond of Devon, in England, so yeah.'
He was trying not to ramble, really he was, but he had a weakness for it when he was nervous. And he was nervous. Dev wasn't one of those guys who'd had hundreds of girlfriends. He knew some of those type of guys, but he wasn't one. He may have had four girlfriends in his whole life, and two of them he wouldn't even count, given how they'd each been when he was in Primary School.
And now you ramble in your head. Very good Devon, very good.
He came back to earth in time for the girl (Now known as Taylor Brooks), introduced herself.
'Pleasure to meet you Taylor. May I compliment your name without sounding like a complete fool? If so, then your name is very beautiful. And yeah,' he smiled again, looking down to where his book was at the bottom of the pile, 'I've been one of those unlucky souls who have to put the books away which have been left on tables. Its left me with a built in but-books-back-after-use mode. I'm taking you've got that duty today? Unless you just love reading really heavy books.'
Faith Lehane
Faith Lehane

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Sun May 12, 2013 2:02 pm

xTaylor Brooks
xTaylor would have laughed at the compliment but stopped herself in time, flashing a wide grin instead. Any more sound and she might be kicked out of the library for good. While that would have been a very welcome prospect ten minutes ago, it was the very last thing Taylor wanted now. After all, Devon was great company. With a good sense of humor and an easy (and slightly... nervous? Maybe she was imagining it) disposition, what more could she ask for?

"Finally, someone who understands me," Taylor said, complete with a dramatic sigh. "Honestly speaking, his is my first time doing this. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of books end up in the wrong shelves at the end of the day. And I wouldn't call it a 'duty', exactly. More of a... punishment."

The word slipped out of her lips before she could properly think it through. A look of surprise flickered across her face for a split-second before she mashed her lips together in a tight-looking smile. You do not tell those kinds of things to people you've just met. Especially to attractive boys you might ask out. Taylor wasn't a total novice when it comes to the dating world but that didn't mean that she was an expert. Actually, hanging out with a lot of guys had left her with both an advantage and a disadvantage. While Taylor may have gained the confidence to be herself around boys, it also meant that she was frequently friend-zoned.

Taylor ploughed on before Devon could say anything about the punishment thing. "So you're really from England?" she asked, genuinely interested. "A lot of girls find the accent hot."

ooc: i was editing my layout and i accidentally replaced the post here. i tried to recreate it as much as i could but it might not be exactly the same from before. i feel so stupid and frustrated and afsvdueifpnfhv /dies

Last edited by Sapphire on Mon May 13, 2013 4:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Sapphire
Sapphire
Approver

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Faith Lehane Sun May 12, 2013 2:48 pm

Evidently, Taylor did not think he sounded like a complete fool as he complimented her name, and so Devon was slightly proud of himself for delivering a nice compliment to a nice girl.
The whole thing where he'd never had a load of girlfriends sort of shaped how he was around girls. He wasn't used to dishing out compliments, or being around a girl who he hadn't been friend-zoned with. He had a few friends, who were of the female variety, and who he found it easy enough to be around. But being around a female who he actually, genuinely liked, was different. He didn't like her in the creepy, "I-wanna-be-your-next-boyfriend-and-father-your-children" way, but she was easy to get along with. She didn't find his humour stupid (Or at the very least, she hadn't said it was yet), and she had a good personality.

He grinned at her dramatic sigh, trying not to laugh.
'I once had to put all the books back with this kid who couldn't even read. I mean, dyslexia, okay, you have difficulty stringing sentences together, etc. But this kid, literally he put every single book in the wrong place. I had to go around after him and find every single book to move it to the right shelf.'
He listened to her, and stayed smiling as he imagined a load of Athena campers coming in tomorrow to find all their books in the wrong places.
When Devon heard it was more of a punishment, he started wondering what on earth she'd done.

It didn't really bother him, that she had been sent to do the duty as a punishment. After all, his few times doing it hadn't been choice. One of them had been a complete accident, where he'd just been in the wrong place at the wrong time. The other had been when he had tried to stop Max from fighting (Again). One thing had led to another, and then Max had been sentenced to kitchen duty, and he'd been sent to Library duty.
Though he did wonder what Taylor could have done to end up working in the Library.

She didn't give him a chance to ask however, and he laughed softly about her question on England, shaking his head.
'No, I'm from Germany. Didn't you know we have similar accents there?' then, he continued without the sarcasm, 'Greenwich, London. Home of the Cutty Sark, Meridon Line and the Royal Observity.'
Then he blushed, and raised an eyebrow.
'Really? "Hot"? Here I had a weapon at my disposal, and all I needed was to speak, and nope, never realized.'
Faith Lehane
Faith Lehane

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Sun May 12, 2013 11:55 pm

TAYLOR BROOKS
"I commend you for having the patience," Taylor said, imagining Devon tailing a younger dyslexic boy who placed books in random shelves. The more she thought about it, the more she was impressed. Then again, she did tend to get a bit fascinated by anyone with more patience than her, and that narrowed it down to roughly everyone. "I wouldn't have bothered if it was me. Seriously, this has got to be Chiron's worst decision ever. I'm just a disaster waiting to happen. I'm actually quite surprised that I managed to stay here this long. It's been... what, forty-five minutes? Personal record!"

"Ssshh, this is a library!" hissed a bespectacled girl from the nearest table. Oops.

Taylor didn't pay the girl much attention though, now that Devon started telling her about his hometown. Exhaling a quick sigh of relief when she realized he hadn't asked about anything punishment-related, she said, "Really, my second guess would have been China. The similarity in your accents is just astounding."

She chuckled a little and continued in a more serious note, "Wow. I think you just made it sound so much cooler than it actually is. Definitely the accent. But seriously? Are you sure you don't have a fanclub somewhere?" She made a show of looking around, as if someone would poke their head out from one of the shelves and give her a death glare. "Should I expect to get pounced on by an army of fangirls the moment I step out the door?"
coded by sapphire
Sapphire
Sapphire
Approver

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Faith Lehane Mon May 13, 2013 11:57 am

'Patience which I very nearly lost,' he laughed, thinking back to the memory.
It was one of his neutral experiences at camp. Okay, so this kid had annoyed the crap out of him, and he'd spent a good bit longer than he'd been sentenced too putting the books where they were supposed to go, but still. He could also understand that the kid was not just dyslexic, but he hadn't been trying. Being in the library was punishment enough in his eyes, and having to put books away too? That just ended any incentive he may have had to actually work.
[cololr=RoyalBlue]'I was sorta worried that if I didn't, we'd be sentenced to another day doing it,'[/color] Devon said, before smiling again, 'I'm sure its not that bad. I mean, until I walked into you, you were probably doing great. Plus? Fourty-Five minutes? You've lasted longer than even the strongest could have. Truthfully, I know a couple people who would collapse crying on the ground after ten minutes.'

The girl at the nearest table spoke up, telling Taylor it was a library, and Dev had to purse his lips to stop the laugh escaping.

It was unsuccessful though, cause he laughed slightly louder than he should have, and ducked his head when the girl looked up again, sending him to evil eye.
Uh oh... oops.
'Oh yeah, I'm always being confused for a Chinese person. Everyone's always like "Hey Devon, that accent sounds so familiar, are you from China?"'

He shook his head, and then in a voice really low, not even a whisper, he leant closer to Taylor, like he was going to say something really serious to her.
'Ssssh, I just got rid of them. I swear there were more this morning than yesterday morning. The library is now my only escape. Its like how a vampire won't go in a church. The books buuuurn.'
The image of him with an army of fangirls was more amusing than anything else that day. In honesty, he wasn't one to attract a load of attention from the opposite gender. Maybe because he was always hiding out somewhere, like the library, or in the Cabin.
'What about you Taylor Brooks? I doubt there's an army of fan girls, but should I be running to hide from the legion of fan boys?'
Faith Lehane
Faith Lehane

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Mon May 13, 2013 12:32 pm

TAYLOR BROOKS
With her hands occupied by the dusty books, Taylor found it increasingly harder to muffle the laughs that were coming. She had not seen that China thing coming, despite her saying it first. Unbelievable. The boy had answers for everything. Taylor was trying so hard to quell her laughs to even think of a proper comeback.

Devon leaned in before she knew it. Doubling her grip on the books, Taylor felt her breath catch in her throat as his face inched closer to hers. What? Seriously? Devon, what are you doing? Her pulse raced and she tensed, a mix of emotions boiling in her chest. Confusion? Nervousness? ...Excitement?

Then he started talking about his fangirls.

Taylor could feel the blood rushing to her cheeks. Oh my gods, Tay, what were you thinking? He's just making a joke about fangirls. Now go curl up in a corner and die of shame.

Nevertheless, Taylor slightly bowed her head as she let out a soft string of chuckles, partly hiding her face from view. The mention of fanboys then gave her an idea. Her head snapped back up, the slight pink on her cheeks having worn off (for the most part). Throwing a discreet glance over her shoulder, Taylor leaned in closer to his face. Why does he have to be so damn tall? she thought to herself as she shifted her weight to her toes.

"Trust me," she breathed into his ear, as if it was a juicy secret. "The library is the last place they'd look."

She quickly pulled back before he could reply, giving him a wink as a small smirk formed on her lips.
coded by sapphire
Sapphire
Sapphire
Approver

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Faith Lehane Mon May 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Devon shifted the weight of his own books, keeping a strong grip holding onto them. It would be just his luck for them to fall. Or for him to drop them. Or for both to happen. Hell, it would be just his luck for them to fall, and then just after he'd picked them up (Embarrassed), for him to drop them again.
Cause that is exactly the thing you would do Dev.

Were Taylor's cheeks getting darker? Or was that just him?
Just as he was thinking about it more though, she bowed her head, half hiding it from view. When she looked back up, her cheeks were as normal as they had been two minutes ago.
He had a half-smile pasted on his face while she threw a look over her shoulder, and then started to lean in.
Now, Devon was not a very very tall person. He was the same height as most other guys his age, although there were those few who were much, much taller, or much, much smaller.
So because Taylor was actually smaller than him, he leaned down a little more, and listened to what she breathed into his ear.

When she was done, his smile grew wider, and he pulled back around the same time she did.
Dev felt his own cheeks get slightly warmer than usual at her wink and smirk, and trying to hide it, leant forward like before to whisper once more, softer.
'So we should be safe as long as we're in here, huh?'
Faith Lehane
Faith Lehane

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Mon May 13, 2013 7:33 pm

TAYLOR BROOKS
"Relatively safe," Taylor agreed in an equally quiet whisper, nodding once. "For now."

Were her eyes deceiving her or were Devon's cheeks a tad darker than before? Taylor resisted the urge to smirk. Now we're even.

This was the point where the books threatened to slip out of her grasp. Even with Devon so generously shouldering the others, they were still pretty heavy (and moldy) and the sooner she can get these off her hands, the better. If her arms could speak, they would be complaining by now.

"We should start putting these back," she said, holding the books up slightly for emphasis. She stood there expectantly, thinking it quite rude to just turn on her heel and leave without waiting for a reply and besides, they did have some common destinations, considering that most of the books they held belonged to the same shelf anyway. Also, why not admit it? She was still reluctant to part ways with the English boy.
coded by sapphire
Sapphire
Sapphire
Approver

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Faith Lehane Tue May 14, 2013 11:47 am

Devon smiled, and nodded as well.
'For now is good. As they say, don't worry about tomorrow today. In this case, don't worry about angry fangirls slash fanguys until you see an angry fangirl slash fanguy.'

Slowly, the hotness in his cheeks started to subside, although there was still a distinct pinkness which refused to go away. He was over the sudden embarrassed feeling, or whatever it had been, but there was still something at the back of his mind which was keeping the pinkness there, ready to escalate to full blown red again if the chance came up.

He shifted the weight once more, and nodded to what Taylor said about putting them back.
'Agreeing. It would be terrible if a poor Athena Camper came in looking for a book that we were holding, couldn't find it and had a nervous breakdown.'

Devon was happy to accompany Taylor to the shelves and bring the books back. He was happy to dawdle as much as possible in honesty, now he'd found one person who had a very likable personality. He'd hate to leave now and never see her again.
'So. Where do these extremely old, musty, large - and might I add heavy - books go?' he asked, not sure himself.
The first book on his pile was faced with the front of the cover down, so he couldn't read that, and the spine of it was facing out, so he couldn't well grow his neck out and read it. He was relying on Taylor for knowing what shelf they all went on.
Faith Lehane
Faith Lehane

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Tue May 14, 2013 12:18 pm

TAYLOR BROOKS
"Right. Let's try not to prolong their agony any longer. I'd hate to be the cause of a nervous breakdown," Taylor said with a shudder.

Smiling, she glanced down at his question, squinting at the cover of the topmost book. The original one had already faded by now, the book title already scrawled in marker over it. Taylor was prepared to bet that whoever wrote it was an Athena kid or someone just as smart because it was in English. Which meant that the letters floated around the leather, making it a hundred times more difficult for Taylor to decipher. Thank you for making my life all the more easier, random kid. Smart decision you made - writing in English for a dyslexic population whose minds are hard-wired for Ancient Greek. It took her a few seconds to finally make sense of it but it only got worse - what she read only made her do a double take.

'How to Sharpen Pencils.'

What is this I don't even -

In a rush, she quickly slid it to the side to read the next one. It was also in English and it took Taylor twice as long to read. By the time she was finished, Taylor's eyes were as big as saucers.

It read 'Do-it-Yourself: Brain Surgery and Other Home Skills.'

"I can't believe it. Gods this is just - wow. Anyway, I think I know where they're supposed to be," Taylor said, shouldering the books so that she wouldn't have to see their titles again. Blinking profusely, she took the lead and grinned at Devon, motioning for him to follow her. "These books will blow your mind. Wanna try guessing what they are about?"
coded by sapphire
Sapphire
Sapphire
Approver

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Faith Lehane Tue May 14, 2013 12:57 pm

'Causing a nervous breakdown would defiantly be one to tell the kids thought,' he pointed out, hiding yet another smile.

Devon understood the fact that Taylor was more than likely a sufferer of dyslexia too, and as soon as he saw the unmistakable english scrawled on the cover of the first book, he looked down at his own armful, figuring that while she was working out exactly what it said, he could be looking at one of his own. It took him a second of moving around, and a very close call where the armful of books nearly hit the floor, but he'd soon turned the top book onto the other side, and saw that like Taylor's, his had a handwritten scrawl across the cover, obviously the name of the book.
It took him a couple moments to actually work it out, because not only was his dyslexia making the words seem all mixed up and stuff, the handwriting was dreadful, and just made the whole situation harder.
'How... to... read... a book,' he mouthed, not really believing it.
How to Read a Book? How. To. Read. A. Book. Oh my gods. How can someone just... oh my gods...
Without thinking anymore about it, he simply looked away from the book. The logic was just... he couldn't go there.

Devon smiled at Taylor, her books obviously as idiotic as his own.
What is the point behind Do-It-Yourself books anyways? In the time it takes you to read the book about how to do something, you could have it done.
'You wouldn't believe what the top one in my pile is. So go on, you tell me the ones you read, and I'll tell you mine,' he laughed, knowing that if her books were as illogical as his own, then he'd be there all day guessing.

It was as he started to follow her that Maxime walked around the corner of the book shelf facing them, and spotting him, rushed over.
She was dressed in a pair of black jeans, with a pair of white converse on. Her top was white, and like all of her recent tops, had a witty bit of humour on it. In this case, the top said a jumble of letter which Devon could not for the life of him understand, but could make out "The". (It did in fact say "And Yet, Despite The Look On My Face, You Are Still Talking." It was very unlikely Maxime herself understood what it said, seeing as though she just didn't have the patience for English books). Max wasn't wearing any jacket, although a jumper was tied around her waist.
Her hair was not its usual straight self, which was actually the first thing he had noticed. It was unbelievably curly, and the look on her face said everything: She had not been intending to leave the Cabin with curly hair.

'I need money,' she announced, not keeping her voice down.
She attracted another death stare from a freckly guy sitting at a table about four meters away, and a "Ssssh" from the same girl as earlier.
Devon shook his head, and she pulled the little sister face which had got her what she wanted so many times before.
'Come on Dev! I need money. Please? My straighteners broke, and now my hair is like this and pleeeeeeeease?' she kept her voice down this time, but Max was fully prepared to scream if it would get her the money she needed.
'Maxime... I just gave you money for a new hairdryer....' he said in a whisper, exasperated.

But Maxime's attention had gone from her hair disaster and the straighteners which she needed (Or more likely, wanted). She had noticed the reddish haired girl just a little in front of Devon, and a smile suddenly brightened her features as she took in the scene.
'Hello girl who I don-'
'Taylor Brooks,' Devon supplied helpfully, hoping that the sooner he could get her away, the sooner he and Taylor could get rid of the heavy books.
'Hello Taylor Brooks, girl who I still do not know but will pretend to know seeing as though I am using your name,' Maxime took a big, dramatic breath, and continued, 'I'm Maxime. Devon's girlfriend.'
Faith Lehane
Faith Lehane

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Tue May 14, 2013 7:36 pm

TAYLOR BROOKS
Taylor opened her mouth to speak, about to tell Devon how these books just nabbed the top two spots of her list of weirdest titled books ever, when a loud brash voice caught everyone's attention.

"I need money."

She instantly stopped in her tracks, eyes zeroing in on the curly-haired girl who just seemed to appear out of nowhere. Unlike those who gave the girl a stinkeye before returning to their books, Taylor stared bemusedly at her, her slight confusion and fascination dissipating when she realized that the girl was addressing Devon. Wait a second. Books under her arm, Taylor whipped around with raised eyebrows as she looked at him. Both were now engaged in a hushed conversation as Taylor watched on, an unreadable emotion etched on her face. Why would the girl be proclaiming her need for money to Devon as if he was her father? Her own thoughts irked her. That was obviously not the case, unless Devon had been a pretty busy five-year-old.

Then the girl finally realized that they were not alone, that Taylor was standing there awkwardly with her back to the shelf, pretending to inspect the shoelaces of her Converse to distract herself from her thoughts. They were not exactly in her favor. The more she thought, the more she felt uncomfortable. Still, despite the weird feeling she got from the girl before her, Taylor plastered a smile to her face as the girl introduced herself.

"I'm Maxime. Devon's girlfriend."

Although the smile remained on her face, Taylor felt as if she had been hit by a ton of bricks.

Girlfriend. The word echoed in the walls of her head like a broken record. It rang in her ears, as if on loop, and it was all it took for her to maintain that smile. She had been flirting with someone's boyfriend! And she wasn't that unobservant - he had been hitting on her too, she felt sure of it! Taylor moved to hug the books to her chest so tightly that she was giving herself difficulty to breathe, forgetting that they were dusty and moldy and illogical, forgetting a lot of other things too. She took a deep breath as discreetly as she could, struggling to calm herself down. She could feel the anger rising, could feel the burning emotion take hold. After all, who wouldn't be furious? Devon had led her on. And she was a fool to let him.

"Oh, nice to meet you," Taylor said, carefully controlling her voice but no matter how hard she tried, the difference from before was noticeable. Her voice had been stripped of its humor, a dash of coolness replacing it. Her lips forced into a thin smile, she continued, "Devon and I were just talking about how weird some books can get."

She wasn't looking at Devon when she spoke, only gazing intently at Max. She wasn't even sure anymore where all these emotions were coming from. Knowing her track record with anger management, Taylor had half a mind to excuse herself and return these annoying books before she could do something she might regret, but then she remembered that Devon had half of her pile. Taylor bit back a groan. How was she supposed to make a swift exit now?
coded by sapphire
Sapphire
Sapphire
Approver

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Faith Lehane Wed May 15, 2013 11:13 am

Devon stared at Maxime in horror, and then to Taylor, and back to Maxime.
She hasn't... no way... how did she think that would be... oh my gods Max you've really wreaked it now... how...
He couldn't actually believe she had done that. Max had done a lot of things over the years, but never had she brought a joke to this sort of level.

Taylor's voice had changed, and he noticed it. She no longer had a humourous tone, with it instead having been replaced with a coldness.
'Ma- Maxime,' he managed to choke out, and his sister turned to him with a wide grin on her face.
'Yes Devon?'
'What are you playing at?'
'What am I playing at? Whatever do you mean,' she chirped in her British accent
'Maxie... I need to break something to you. Cousincest is legal in England. Siblingcest isn't. Especially between twins,' his voice was low, and he sounded like he was explaining something to a small child. (Which, he sort of was)

He turned to Taylor once more and frowned, trying to think of just the right way to word this. Devon was slightly annoyed by his sisters actions, and she'd wreaked a conversation which he'd genuinely been enjoying, all for money for straighteners.
'Taylor... I-I know that this is such a stupid excuse, cause people in movies say it all the time, but she is not my girlfriend. She's my sister. My twin sister in fact. Maxime has this habit of... well when she doesn't get what she wants when she wants it, she usually pulls something like this. But I repeate, Maxime Bryson is not my girlfriend. If she was, I would probably jump off of a cliff. She's my very annoying younger twin sister, and I hope she leaves soon and you'll believe me.'
'I'm really that bad?' she asked sadly, at his sentence on jumping off a cliff.
He answered flatly.
'Right at this moment, yes.'
Faith Lehane
Faith Lehane

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Wed May 15, 2013 12:21 pm

TAYLOR BROOKS
If Taylor felt stupid before, that was nothing compared to how she felt now. She stared at them both, actually noticing the resemblance. The same shade of bronze-brown hair, their British accents, how Max acted towards Devon earlier... They were twins. Not boyfriend-and-girlfriend but twins, if Devon was telling the truth. And judging from how Maxime didn't even make any move to deny it, she figured that he was. That, of course, led her to realize that she got worked up about nothing, nothing but a stupid joke.

Taylor dragged her hand down the side of her face in exasperation. This was the annoying side to her anger. It didn't disappear as quickly as it came. More often than not, it only seemed to find more things to fuel it, make it stronger. And right now, she couldn't look at Maxime without imagining her freezing inside an iceberg.

It took Taylor a few moments to unravel her tongue and finally speak. "Oh, that clears it up."

Wasn't much she could say but at least she could still talk calmly. She couldn't meet any of their eyes, instead fixating at a point behind Devon (no, she was not going to look at Max in fear that she might suddenly smash her head on the nearest shelf). Talk about awkward. Replaying her reaction earlier, she almost wanted to smash her head on the shelf. Why did she have to suck at acting? She couldn't even tell who she was angrier at: Maxime - for pulling that prank - or herself - for actually falling for it and making it so obvious. But if there was any emotion strong enough to stand its ground against her anger, it was humiliation. She had completely lost her cool - no pun intended.

Fortunately, she still had a bit of her confidence and dignity left. "Okay look," Taylor said in resignation. Her eyes flickered to Max for a short moment and she mashed her lips together, hoping that it could pass as a smile. "It's nice to meet you and all but if I have to hold these books any longer, I'm going to fall over, hit my head and die."

A pause, before...

Congrats, Tay, you just won the award for Most Horrible Comeback Ever.
coded by sapphire
Sapphire
Sapphire
Approver

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Faith Lehane Mon May 20, 2013 11:36 am

'I make you wanna jump off a cliff?'
'Most of the time, yes.'
'You break my heart sob sob not.'
She'll be lucky to live through today. Any moment I'll snap and push a shelf down on top of her...
Impossible to do, given how large and heavy the library shelves were, but Devon had fun imagining it anyways. His sister was... difficult would be one word for it, although he could think of seven others which were ruder but described her better.

Maxime's smile only grew wider when Taylor dragged her hand across her face, and Devon had to resist the sudden, strong urge to clap her around the back of her head. He had to keep reminding himself that he was holding a few large books which would make quiet a lot of noise if they were dropped. But then, once he'd reminded himself, he had to fight the idea of just dropping the books on her head instead. It was hard to keep his anger at bay when it came to Max.

He smiled wryly to Taylor, and before Maxime could jump in, he tuned her out completely and addressed the red-head.
'Believe me, sometimes I wish she wasn't my sister. Correction: most of the time. This was her idea of a really funny joke, which it evidently wasn't, and she should never, ever, ever do it again,' he gave his younger (and often more annoying) sister a pointed look, daring her to say something.
Her smile fell ever so slightly, but other than that, it was like he had never spoken.

Devon loved his sister, he really did. She was all he had, and the same went for her, so they had a stronger bond they would have if their mother had raised them for the last three years of their life. But she didn't have a trip switch in her brain which told her to shut her mouth and say nothing. She acted before she thought it through, and it often ended in awkward situations.
It also didn't help that she was very different to him, which meant more than they had different favorite colors and tastes in music. (His favorite color was White "Because it goes with everything" and hers was Turquoise "Cause its like the sea duh". He liked all types of music, while she preferred Pop, Rock and Modern.). They both had very different ideas of jokes, as shown with Maxime's prank. He would never have dreamt of doing that to her, but unfortunately, she had done it to him.
Although there's nothing that can be done now other than try ignore her and hope she goes away.

Max smiled brightly to Taylor in response to her attempt at a smile, and Devon silently hoped she would say nothing at all, which was very unlikely.
'Ya know, that's one of the first things I thought when I saw you both. Why on earth are you both carrying very large, and very heavy looking books? I mean okay, sure, you might like reading, but books like that are not for reading. They look like they should be used as bricks to build a library, not as books to be put on shelves.'
He shook his head, and spoke to Taylor as though Maxime hadn't opened her mouth.
'I am agreeing about the obvious message in your statement, which is that these books must be put away on their shelves. Shall we put them away? You can tell me what the titles were,' he made a weak attempt at his light-hearted tone from earlier, and crooked smile, trying to change the whole atmosphere once more.
Faith Lehane
Faith Lehane

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sapphire Mon May 20, 2013 12:24 pm

TAYLOR BROOKS
Watching them bicker like that, Taylor briefly wondered what it would be like if she had siblings. Well, she did technically have siblings in camp, but they weren't exactly close. It was different for Devon and Max, who had lived all their lives knowing that they were family. Taylor here just learned all about her new family barely a year ago and it was a little difficult having to adjust. Especially when a few of her siblings were her age. The thought made her want to groan. Her mother needed a new hobby, not to mention a more ethical one.

When she looked at Max, Taylor fixed her smile on her face so hard that her cheekbones hurt. Given her way, she would have been scowling and cursing right now but she wasn't that angry... yet. She still remembered that they were in the library, that causing some kind of ruckus might end up with her spending even more time sorting out books. Definitely not the kind of thing Taylor would want to waste her time doing. She let out a soft hollow laugh at Max's joke, hoping that it would suffice.

"Yeah, that'd be great," Taylor agreed, her tone still lacking the enthusiasm she had a few minutes ago but nevertheless with a slight improvement. Her breath caught when he smiled - because having that kind of smile should be made illegal, she thought - and she turned away, pretending to look at the rows of wooden shelves ahead. "These should go in that shelf over there..."

She started to walk, banking on the fact that they would follow - or at least, Devon would, what with the books he was carrying for her. As for Maxime, well, Taylor was still resisting the urge to drop these books on her feet. Or head. "Oh, the titles?" she said, remembering that Devon had asked. "Something about sharpening pencils and do-it-yourself brain surgery. Yours?"

That wasn't how she planned to deliver it a few moments ago. Taylor would have tried to build up the moment before the big reveal. She would have asked why on earth would people need such books. But now, despite Devon's attempt at a lighter atmosphere, she was just not in the mood anymore.
coded by sapphire
Sapphire
Sapphire
Approver

Character Sheet
HP:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next